Caregiver Resources in COVID-19Trusted sources for those caring for a family member with dementia
Helpful Resources for Dementia Caregivers during COVID-19
News & Upcoming Events
Caring for Carers: Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Care Providers and Caregivers in Light of COVID-19
Thurdsay, June 25 from 9 AM to 2:30 PM EST.
The Reitman Centre/ Enhancing Care Program is presenting on “Caring for Carers: Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Care Providers and Caregivers in Light of COVID-19”, part of the 2020 Geriatrics Institute Education Day delivered in partnership with Sinai Health System’s Healthy Ageing and Geriatrics Program, the University Health Network and a variety of community care partners across the GTA.
Dr. Sadavoy discusses the challenges family caregivers shared about communicating with their family member with dementia via different devices such a laptop, iPad or smartphone, in the midst of COVID-19 visitor restriction policies in place in care facilities and residences. He offers perspective and some helpful strategies that were discussed with and by other caregivers in our dialogue event.
Managing ongoing care through COVID-19
- How to Handle Challenging Behaviours in People with Dementia: A guide for caregivers and family members (Mount Sinai Hospital, Reitman Centre for Alzheimer Support and Training)
- Long Term Care: Thinking About Removing Your Older Loved One From Long Term Care During COVID-19 (Regional Geriatric Program of Toronto)
- Caregiver Tips & Resources from The Ontario Caregiver Organization
- Taking Care of Yourself & Activities to Do from Home from Alzheimer Society of Canada
- (VIDEOS) Substitute Decision Making: A Legal Guide for Dementia Caregivers/ Care Partners (Nancy Reason, LL.B., lawyer with Pro Bono Ontario)
Legal Organizations and Advocacy for Caregivers
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)
Tel: 1-855-598-2656 or 416-598-2656
The Advocacy Centre for the Elderly is a community based legal clinic for low income senior citizens. ACE is managed by a volunteer board of directors at least half of whom are seniors. ACE is funded through Legal Aid Ontario and is the first legal clinic in Canada to specialize in the legal problems of seniors.
Pro Bono Ontario
Free Legal Advice Hotline is a good source of free legal advice for those who are income-eligible. There is a cost range based on the number of people in the household.
There is a small fee to register but the lawyers in their network charge a reduced fee for services depending on income. They use a sliding scale.
The Law Society Referral Service
Tel: 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255
The lawyers and paralegals in the network charge their regular fees but some may take cases on contingency (depending on the area of law) or accept Legal Aid certificates.
COVID-19 Resources | Government of Ontario
How to self assess, isolate, monitor | Public Health Ontario
Regional Assessment Centres | Public Health Toronto
Caregiver Support Programs
Other Online Resources
- How Technology Can Support Caregivers During COVID-19 (The Ontario Caregiver Organization)
ONLINE EVENTS FOR CAREGIVERS
Online Events for Caregivers
- June 25 | COVID-19 Special Virtual Geriatrics Institute Education Day (Sinai Health Geriatrics/ University Health Network)
The Reitman Centre is presenting at 10:20 am, on “CARING FOR CARERS: SUPPORTING THE MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS OF CARE PROVIDERS AND CAREGIVERS IN LIGHT OF COVID-19”
Presented by Dr. Irina Nica-Graham, Geriatric Psychiatrist, Sinai Health and Gita Lakhanpal, Occupational Therapist, Registered Psychotherapist, Reitman Centre – Sinai Health
- June 11 | Caregiver Check-In: Challenges & Choices in COVID-19 (Enhancing Care Program/ The Reitman Centre)
- April 15- June 3 | Tele-Mindfulness Group for Dementia Caregivers (Enhancing Care Program/ The Reitman Centre) *Inquire about future program dates
SERVICES FOR GTA
Food & Necessities Delivery
Mental Health, Housing, Newcomers
- Mental Health, Housing & Newcomer Supports – Available by Phone or Online (The 519 Space for Change)
How to use Zoom
Desktop or Laptop Computers
Smartphones and Tablets
- Install Zoom: How to install Zoom on iPhone, Android or iPad, Tablet
- Join a Meeting: How to join a Zoom meeting on iPhone or iPad
- Host a Meeting: How to Host a Zoom meeting
- Overview: An Introduction to ZOOM Video Conferencing