About Us – Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners
The Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners Program provides evidence-based clinical programs to support the unique needs of care partners providing care at home to people living with dementia. The goal is to help care partners across Ontario manage the stress and complexities of caring for a person living with dementia. The program is currently offered in 12 locations across Ontario reaching care partners in 11 regions with both in person and online programs.
“We know, from our research and daily experience with caregivers at our Reitman Centre program based at Mount Sinai Hospital, that these interventions to support family members and other unpaid caregivers who are struggling are effective and impactful. But we also know that there is a significant unmet need across Ontario for people who haven’t been able to access this kind of support. ”
Dr. Joel Sadavoy, Medical Director of Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners, and of the Cyril & Dorothy, Joel & Jill Reitman Centre for Alzheimer’s Support and Training, Sinai Health System.
The Reitman Centre at Sinai Health System is partnering with Alzheimer Societies across Ontario to bring Enhancing Care Programs to care partners in their local communities. The Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners Program is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and includes:
- Face-to-face CARERS and TEACH programs for care partners providing care at home to people living with dementia.
- Live video CARERS, TEACH and Tele-Mindfulness programs for care partners unable to attend face-to-face groups.
- Suite of innovative resources providing care partners with easy access to online information, resources and interactive events.
- Training for regulated health professionals.
About the Reitman Centre
The Cyril & Dorothy, Joel & Jill Reitman Centre for Alzheimer’s Support and Training comprehensively addresses the needs of caregivers- those caring for people living with dementia. The Reitman Centre’s programs include:
- Enhancing Care for Ontario Care Partners Program (provincial lead)
- direct therapeutic care and skills training for caregivers
- consultations to professionals dealing with complex caregiver-based dementia management problems
- training for professionals in caregiver management techniques
- research leadership and consultation
Each program works in tandem to sustain caregivers in their difficult role and functions by enhancing their practical skills and providing expert help to deal with emotional challenges and the complexities of caregiving for people living with dementia.
Contact – Reitman Centre for Alzheimer’s Support and Training
Tel: 416-586-4800 ext. 5882
Evidence-Based Skills Training
Evidence based skills training utilizes formal problem solving techniques, therapeutic principles and guided simulation for hands-on training. The effectiveness of this approach has been demonstrated through formal outcome research.
Learn more about the Cyril & Dorothy, Joel & Jill Reitman Centre for Alzheimer’s Support and Training.